The best BYU secondaries I've seen over the years were in 1982 (Tom Holmoe, Kevin Walker, Kyle Morrell, Greg Peterson and John Mannion), 1984 (Mark Allen, Kyle Morrell) and 1996 (Tim McTyer, Omarr Morgan). The 2001 secondary with Jernaro Gilford and Levi Madarieta wasn't too shabby either.
The 1996 secondary had two lock-down corners in Morgan and McTyer, which allowed the defense to be extremely flexible. I don't know if Hadley and Johnson are in that category, but they certainly are more capable of playing press cover in man coverage than any I've seen since Mendenhall came to Provo.
If that holds true this year, it will give Mendenhall great flexibility.
And at BYU, having a playmaking secondary is a very big deal.
In 2012, it starts with Sorensen.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34