Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Mayor Mia Love, candidate for the 2nd Congressional District, has recently enjoyed widespread publicity. As she was interviewed last evening on Fox News, it brought again to my mind the fact she lives in her district; her opponent does not.
The Legislature made a grave mistake in not mandating that a representative to Congress must reside in the district they represent. I remain most disquieted that Jim Matheson opted to change districts just because he thought his chances for reelection were greater in another district. This is politics at its worst.
How can someone adequately and honestly represent constituents when they are not living among them? I would hope that the Legislature in the not too distant future would amend the law so that an individual cannot select in which district he chooses to run.
S. R. Provost
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 65
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 46
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23