While holograms are likely covered by existing laws, potential legal challenges will likely focus on whether the performance is protected by the First Amendment. "You get into very subjective areas about what is artistic," Reynolds said.
Marilyn Monroe's estate threatened legal action earlier this year against a company claiming it was working on a digital show using the model-actress' likeness. The technology for holograms or other digital performances are intriguing, the estate's handlers at Authentic Brands say, but they would only partner with people who could make a top-notch product.
Brown and Atwell said they felt enormous pressure to make sure the Shakur performance was worthy of being an introduction to a new form of live entertainment.
"I also hope that the people who do follow us do it with the same care and the same sense of dedication because I would hate to see a bad version of Marilyn Monroe, a bad version of Elvis up there," Brown said.
Brown and Atwell are proud that Shakur is leading the hologram revolution.
"We're part of the hip hop generation," Brown said. "It shows the growth of that culture, of that business and it says a lot about what we've dedicated part of our lives to."
"There was a time, 15 years ago, 20 years ago, when people were waiting for hip hop to disappear," he said. "Now not only is hip hop here to stay, even if you die we'll bring you back."
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
- Malaysian plane mystery: Stolen passports, 5...
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian plane;...
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming landowner;...
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Senate Democrats choose election strategy:...
- How can jet disappear? In the ocean, it's not...
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- What is and isn't known about the missing...
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 25
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 23
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 14
- Senate Democrats choose election... 10
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming... 10
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9
- Survey: Uninsured rate drops from 17.1... 9