Patric Schneider, Associated Press
OAKLAND, Calif. — The Oakland Athletics have acquired shortstop Stephen Drew from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for minor league infielder Sean Jamieson.
The A's announced the trade in the seventh inning of Monday night's game against the Minnesota Twins, and Drew is expected to join Oakland in time to play the middle game of the series on Tuesday. He recently returned after being sidelined for nearly a year with a fractured right ankle.
The 29-year-old Drew is batting .193 with two home runs and 12 RBIs in 40 games since coming back June 26.
Oakland, a surprise contender this season, had been looking for a consistent regular in the middle of the infield given the struggles and injuries of Cliff Pennington and Adam Rosales.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37