Our founding fathers recognized that the most important element of our United States of America was the people, not the politicians or the military. At the time our Constitution was established, along with the Bill of Rights, the people could not protect themselves from tyrants. Thus in the Second Amendment to the Constitution we were given the power and right to own arms to protect ourselves.
Now we have those at present who say that we need to ban guns. Well, let's hear or read what our founding fathers also said in the Second Amendment, that the right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed. What does "infringed" mean? Some synonyms are: invade, trespass, violate intrude, transgress, contravene and break.
Cars and trucks killed 33,965 people in 2011 and in the same year 1,546,000 people were injured. Shall we ban cars and trucks also?
Verle D. Solt
West Valley City
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 43
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout... 16