Our founding fathers recognized that the most important element of our United States of America was the people, not the politicians or the military. At the time our Constitution was established, along with the Bill of Rights, the people could not protect themselves from tyrants. Thus in the Second Amendment to the Constitution we were given the power and right to own arms to protect ourselves.
Now we have those at present who say that we need to ban guns. Well, let's hear or read what our founding fathers also said in the Second Amendment, that the right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed. What does "infringed" mean? Some synonyms are: invade, trespass, violate intrude, transgress, contravene and break.
Cars and trucks killed 33,965 people in 2011 and in the same year 1,546,000 people were injured. Shall we ban cars and trucks also?
Verle D. Solt
West Valley City
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- Michael Gerson: A Senate takeover — No...
- In our opinion: Technology in today's schools...
- My view: Congress must tackle tough issues
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 148
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 87
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 50
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 26
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 26