Our founding fathers recognized that the most important element of our United States of America was the people, not the politicians or the military. At the time our Constitution was established, along with the Bill of Rights, the people could not protect themselves from tyrants. Thus in the Second Amendment to the Constitution we were given the power and right to own arms to protect ourselves.
Now we have those at present who say that we need to ban guns. Well, let's hear or read what our founding fathers also said in the Second Amendment, that the right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed. What does "infringed" mean? Some synonyms are: invade, trespass, violate intrude, transgress, contravene and break.
Cars and trucks killed 33,965 people in 2011 and in the same year 1,546,000 people were injured. Shall we ban cars and trucks also?
Verle D. Solt
West Valley City
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- President should not act without...
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- Richard Davis: Mandela's greatest achievement...
- Letter: American billionaires
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 61
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 39
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 30
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 29
- President should not act without... 26
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 25