Our founding fathers recognized that the most important element of our United States of America was the people, not the politicians or the military. At the time our Constitution was established, along with the Bill of Rights, the people could not protect themselves from tyrants. Thus in the Second Amendment to the Constitution we were given the power and right to own arms to protect ourselves.
Now we have those at present who say that we need to ban guns. Well, let's hear or read what our founding fathers also said in the Second Amendment, that the right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed. What does "infringed" mean? Some synonyms are: invade, trespass, violate intrude, transgress, contravene and break.
Cars and trucks killed 33,965 people in 2011 and in the same year 1,546,000 people were injured. Shall we ban cars and trucks also?
Verle D. Solt
West Valley City
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 47
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 38
- Capitalism and the common good:... 37
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 36