Brad Rock: Rock On: BYU fans, stop helping, please!
Jim Rogash, Getty Images
Rock On considers himself an OK guy. He has friends, family and decent personal hygiene.
But it seems certain readers have issues with him. To wit: An athletics official once told him he loved reading the column — he just didn't ever want to appear in it. All of which made the recent e-mail from another reader quite entertaining.
The nicest part of the note was in the subject bar, where it said: "Your unfortunate attitude."
In response, Rock On can only offer this defense: Sorry — he was born with it.
Ute quarterback Jordan Wynn sat out three days of practice last week to rest what coaches termed "a tired arm."
Rock On figures this will open the door to rampant truancy due to owies, smarties, eewies and, of course, the sleepies.
Ryan Seacrest, the American Idol host, spent three weeks moonlighting as a commentator for the Olympics this year.
Speaking of career crossover, Miami receiver Chad Johnson said — before being cut — that he was unconcerned about who would be the team's quarterback.
"Oprah can play quarterback and we'll be all right," he said.
Sources say the Jacksonville Jaguars countered by signing Ellen DeGeneres to a five-year, $91 million deal.
BYU is asking its fans not to use social media to recruit players — it could be a violation of NCAA rules.
The compliance office tweeted, "Leave the recruiting to the coaches!"
Rock On can only wonder if that goes for bishops and mission presidents, too.
A 20-year-old Chandler, Ariz., woman has gone on a Facebook campaign to wrangle a date with Tim Tebow.
"I love Tim Tebow and would like a date with him for my birthday! Help me out!" she wrote.
Remember when groupies used to have to do humiliating things like stand outside the locker room or wait in the hotel lobby in order to meet a star?
The Center for Disease Control has released its statistics on obesity.
On the bright side for Utahns, it was the sixth-least obese state in 2011, with 24.4 percent fitting the description. On the down side, that's two percent higher than last year.
So maybe BYU's offensive line didn't slim down as much as Bronco Mendenhall said.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 67
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 58
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27