In the neighborhood where the incident happened, all the residents were convinced the girl had desecrated the holy book. One possible explanation for the confusion is that few people in Pakistan actually speak or read Arabic so anything with Arabic script on it is often believed to be from the Quran, sometimes the only Arabic-language book people have ever seen.
Some Muslims gathered Monday at the local mosque less than a hundred yards (meters) from the grey concrete house where neighbors said the Christian girl and her family live. They said the Christians in this mixed neighborhood needed to respect the Islamic traditions and culture.
"Their priest should tell them that they should respect the call for prayer. They should respect the mosque and the Quran. This is what should have happened. We are standing in the house of God. This incident has happened and it is true. It was not good," said one Muslim man, Haji Pervez.
Though no one knew the girl's exact age, the possibility that she could be as young as 11 did not faze the angry neighbors.
"Even a 3-year-old, 4-year-old child knows: "This is Muslim. This is Christian. This is our religion," said Mohammed Ilyas, a shopkeeper in the neighborhood.
Associated Press writers Munir Ahmed and Zarar Khan contributed to this report.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Health care debate about presidential trust,...
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 118
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 117
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Space and religion: How believers view... 23
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- Health care debate about presidential... 16
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13