BYU football: Russell Tialavea understands the program better now post-mission

Published: Sunday, Aug. 19 2012 8:00 p.m. MDT

BYU's Russell Tialavea (52) plays a game in 2009 where he keeps an eye on Air Force's Ben Cochran (12) as BYU faces Air Force.

Jason Olson, Deseret News

PROVO — In some ways BYU defensive lineman Russell Tialavea is exactly the same. In other, more significant ways, he's completely different.

Tialavea is back from his two-year LDS mission to Santiago, Chile, with the same abilities that led to three straight starting seasons for the Cougars, but with a completely new attitude and outlook.

Borrowing from one of coach Bronco Mendenhall's famous catch-phrases, the Oceanside, Calif., product wasn't exactly "fully invested" in the football program through his first four years. He often sported a bad attitude while doing just enough to get by. Given his extraordinary talent, just enough was more than enough to contribute heavily to the football team.

"Big Russ (Tialavea), he didn't like practice much at all, that's what I remember about him," said fellow defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna. "He'd complain a lot and not always put forth his best effort, but he was so talented that he was able to get by with that."

Tialavea would often cut out of practice early — avoiding reporters at all costs, not wanting to talk about being part of a program he didn't completely buy into.

"I was a prideful little punk," says Tialavea. "My attitude was horrible about most everything we did here. I'd find excuses to get upset during practice then drop an (expletive) and get mad at other players or coaches for no reason. I just had a terrible attitude."

Tialavea was set to finish out his final season in 2010 with that same bad attitude before experiencing what he defines as "his conversion."

Through four-and-a-half years in Mendenhall's program, Tialavea was consistently encouraged by teammates to get more involved with the unique vision and goals the team had. He was also encouraged to serve an LDS mission, although he had no intention of doing so from Day 1.

Leading up to the 2009 season, however, Tialavea started reading the Book of Mormon, but in a bit of an unusual way. He would place a daily phone call to his mother Robyn, who teaches seminary, and they'd read from it together.

After about a month, Tialavea found himself halfway through reading the entire Book of Mormon and with a burning desire to do something he never intended to do — serve an LDS mission.

"Nothing else mattered when it hit me," said Tialavea. "I knew I had just one more year to play and that the timing wasn't good at all, but I didn't care about anything else. I felt it so strongly about it that it wasn't really a hard decision. I knew that as a priesthood holder that it was my duty to serve a mission."

Tialavea shortly after informed his mother and Mendenhall about his decision.

"My mom — seeing her reaction and how happy she was — that was probably the highlight of my life," said Tialavea. "I then told coach Mendenhall and seeing him cry tears of joy after hearing about my decision, man, it was a moment I'll never forget. It just proves that he is what he says he is. Sure, he's a football coach that wants to win, but seeing those tears of joy, that's proof right there that he cares about us as players and our own happiness more than anything."

Tialavea filed his mission papers shortly after the start of the 2009 season and left for Chile the following January. When asked to describe his mission and what it was like, Tialavea gave what is largely a typical response from most returned missionaries.

"It was the best two years of my life," he said. "I know people say that a lot, but there is no question that it was the best thing I ever did. Words can't really express the joy I felt and still feel because I served a mission. I have a completely new view on life and about BYU and the football program here now."

His teammates have noticed.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere