SALT LAKE CITY — It's Kole Calhoun's universe, and we should all just be happy to live in it.
The 24 year old was the hero Sunday afternoon in the Bees 5-4 win, by finishing 2-for-4 with three RBIs and one run scored.
Calhoun opened up the scoring in the first inning with a pair of RBIs, and was the wizard behind the decisive ground ball that scored Trevor Crowe for the Bees winning run in the eighth.
"I was just trying to get something up. It's been a little rough lately, chasing some stuff, so I got a pitch in the zone and got a good swing on it," said Calhoun referring to the game winning at bat.
When asked about the end of the season drawing closer everyday, Calhoun said his focus is getting into the playoffs, and not about September call-ups to the Los Angeles Angels.
"Right now I'm focused on the playoffs," said Calhoun. "I play for the Salt Lake Bees right now, so that's where my focus is."
The Bees have made tremendous strides this month with a playoff opportunity in mind, capturing a 13-5 record thus far in August. This series against Colorado Springs could have major playoff implications, and with both teams dead even and chasing Reno, Calhoun noted it's bigger than ever.
"It's not like we are scoreboard watching, but we're definitely checking to see how everyone is doing after the game," said Calhoun. "So this is a big series for us. We can jump around Colorado Springs, and just have Reno=85 Be right in their rearview mirror. So every game right now is huge."
NOTEBOOK: Ed Lucas finished the game 1-for-3, and his single to center field scored Efren Navarro to level the score late. Doug Deeds finished the game 1-for-2.
WELCOME BACK: For the second time this season, veteran pitcher Hisanori Takahashi was optioned to Salt Lake on Sunday. The lefty has posted a season low 4.93 ERA in 42 innings with the Los Angeles Angels.
ATTENDANCE: It was bright and hazy outside, but that didn't stop 4,362 baseball fans from cheering on the home team during "Bring Your Dog to the Park" day at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37