Utah Open: Former Masters champ Weir will enter Utah event this week
FARMINGTON — Mike Weir, who won the 2003 Masters as well as seven other PGA Tour events, will compete in this week's Siegfried and Jensen Utah Open at Oakridge Country Club in Farmington.
The longtime Utah resident and former BYU golfer, who has won nearly $27 million in 15 years on the PGA Tour, has been plagued with an elbow injury the past two years and is trying to work his way back onto the tour.
This year Weir is playing on the European Tour, which fully exempts major winners for 12 years. He has a week off before the Omega European Masters in Switzerland and decided to add the Utah Open to his schedule.
"We are thrilled to have Mike playing in the Utah Open this year," said Utah Section PGA Executive Director Scott Whittaker. "We have a long and storied tradition of PGA TOUR professionals playing in the Utah Open. Some of the biggest golf names, not only in Utah but also nationally, have played and/or won the Utah Open. We wish Mike all the best as he competes with a strong field this weekend."
The Utah Open tournament, which has been played every year but one since 1926, begins Friday at Oakridge and runs through next Sunday. Weir will tee off on the No. 1 hole at 8:50 a.m. on Friday. Weir will also play in the afternoon pro-am tournament on Wednesday.
Admission to the week-long events and the Utah Open championship is free.
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine View...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- 4A boys state tournament championship live...
- High school boys basketball: Kearns marches...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 60
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in... 24