Utah Open: Former Masters champ Weir will enter Utah event this week
FARMINGTON — Mike Weir, who won the 2003 Masters as well as seven other PGA Tour events, will compete in this week's Siegfried and Jensen Utah Open at Oakridge Country Club in Farmington.
The longtime Utah resident and former BYU golfer, who has won nearly $27 million in 15 years on the PGA Tour, has been plagued with an elbow injury the past two years and is trying to work his way back onto the tour.
This year Weir is playing on the European Tour, which fully exempts major winners for 12 years. He has a week off before the Omega European Masters in Switzerland and decided to add the Utah Open to his schedule.
"We are thrilled to have Mike playing in the Utah Open this year," said Utah Section PGA Executive Director Scott Whittaker. "We have a long and storied tradition of PGA TOUR professionals playing in the Utah Open. Some of the biggest golf names, not only in Utah but also nationally, have played and/or won the Utah Open. We wish Mike all the best as he competes with a strong field this weekend."
The Utah Open tournament, which has been played every year but one since 1926, begins Friday at Oakridge and runs through next Sunday. Weir will tee off on the No. 1 hole at 8:50 a.m. on Friday. Weir will also play in the afternoon pro-am tournament on Wednesday.
Admission to the week-long events and the Utah Open championship is free.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18