Utah Open: Former Masters champ Weir will enter Utah event this week
FARMINGTON — Mike Weir, who won the 2003 Masters as well as seven other PGA Tour events, will compete in this week's Siegfried and Jensen Utah Open at Oakridge Country Club in Farmington.
The longtime Utah resident and former BYU golfer, who has won nearly $27 million in 15 years on the PGA Tour, has been plagued with an elbow injury the past two years and is trying to work his way back onto the tour.
This year Weir is playing on the European Tour, which fully exempts major winners for 12 years. He has a week off before the Omega European Masters in Switzerland and decided to add the Utah Open to his schedule.
"We are thrilled to have Mike playing in the Utah Open this year," said Utah Section PGA Executive Director Scott Whittaker. "We have a long and storied tradition of PGA TOUR professionals playing in the Utah Open. Some of the biggest golf names, not only in Utah but also nationally, have played and/or won the Utah Open. We wish Mike all the best as he competes with a strong field this weekend."
The Utah Open tournament, which has been played every year but one since 1926, begins Friday at Oakridge and runs through next Sunday. Weir will tee off on the No. 1 hole at 8:50 a.m. on Friday. Weir will also play in the afternoon pro-am tournament on Wednesday.
Admission to the week-long events and the Utah Open championship is free.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37