Utah Open: Former Masters champ Weir will enter Utah event this week
FARMINGTON — Mike Weir, who won the 2003 Masters as well as seven other PGA Tour events, will compete in this week's Siegfried and Jensen Utah Open at Oakridge Country Club in Farmington.
The longtime Utah resident and former BYU golfer, who has won nearly $27 million in 15 years on the PGA Tour, has been plagued with an elbow injury the past two years and is trying to work his way back onto the tour.
This year Weir is playing on the European Tour, which fully exempts major winners for 12 years. He has a week off before the Omega European Masters in Switzerland and decided to add the Utah Open to his schedule.
"We are thrilled to have Mike playing in the Utah Open this year," said Utah Section PGA Executive Director Scott Whittaker. "We have a long and storied tradition of PGA TOUR professionals playing in the Utah Open. Some of the biggest golf names, not only in Utah but also nationally, have played and/or won the Utah Open. We wish Mike all the best as he competes with a strong field this weekend."
The Utah Open tournament, which has been played every year but one since 1926, begins Friday at Oakridge and runs through next Sunday. Weir will tee off on the No. 1 hole at 8:50 a.m. on Friday. Weir will also play in the afternoon pro-am tournament on Wednesday.
Admission to the week-long events and the Utah Open championship is free.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13