The continuing fixation of the Obama campaign on Mitt Romney's tax returns is ridiculous. I haven't seen Romney's returns, but I'd wager that he has done exactly what virtually every other American citizen does every year with their taxes. They use the existing tax laws to minimize the amount of their money they must pay to the government.
How many of Romney's critics can honestly say that they don't try to accomplish exactly the same thing in their own situation? We may not like some of the current tax laws, but that is a separate issue, and their existence is certainly not Romney's fault. The transparent and hypocritical attempts to keep this distraction in the news are preventing meaningful discussion of much more important issues.
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Top scandals and controversies of each US...
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: No welfare, ever 66
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 28
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17
- Michael Gerson: As government's... 15