HURRICANE — Adam Thompson rushed for 118 yards and the Hurricane defense stymied Skyline almost all night as the 3A Tigers beat the 4A Eagles 20-7.
Thompson's biggest play was a 65-yard inside trap that he turned outside and raced past the stunned Skyline defenders.
"I felt like coming into my senior year that I needed to make sure and work hard so this would be our year," Thompson said. "I can take a hit because I stay pretty loose. But it's nice when I get into the open field. I got my speed from my mom."
The Tiger defense also gets a game ball in this one. Hurricane held the Eagles scoreless until there was just 89 seconds left in the game.
It was a defensive stand late in the first half that probably sealed things for Hurricane. With the Tigers up 13-0 and just under five minutes to play before halftime, Skyline put together a good drive that covered 72 yards and nearly all of those five minutes. Quarterback Tyler Snyder did most of the damage, picking up ruins of 26 and 11 yards and completing a pair of passes to Jake Wittwer. But on fourth down and with under 10 seconds to play in the half, Snyder was slammed out of bounds at the 2-yard line. The tough defensive play by Cody Engstrom and friends helped Hurricane hold on to that lead.
The Tigers then put the game away early in the third quarter on Thompson's 65-yard run.
"Adam certainly deserves the credit. He was great," Tigers coach Chris Homer said. "But I was really pleased with our defense. We kind of thought they might lead the way for us early in the season while the offense figures things out."
It is the 14th straight win for Hurricane, which won the state 3A title last season. Hurricane has beaten Skyline in three straight season-openers.
Tight end Bennett Heyrend caught a TD pass for Hurricane, which tossed just four passes in the game.
Snyder was 8 of 18 for 82 yards and also rushed for 79 yards for the Eagles. He had the lone Skyline TD on a 36-yard jaunt with 1:29 left.
Andy Griffin is the sports editor at STGnews.com, the home of Region 9 sports in Southern Utah.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Utah Jazz host third pre-draft workout,...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- BYU baseball team confident entering... 8