MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Ed Lucas belted two home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to 5-0 win over the Memphis Redbirds on Friday night.
Lucas broke a scoreless tie in the fifth, as he drove a 1-0 pitch from Memphis starter Brandon Dickson over the left field wall to put the Bees in front. Lucas extended the lead to 3-0 as drilled a 1-1 pitch from reliever John Gaub just inside the left field foul pole. They would add two more runs in the ninth on a two-run triple by Trevor Crowe.
Three Salt Lake pitchers combined to throw the team's sixth shutout of the season. Garrett Richards (7-3) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed seven hits with six strikeouts and one walk.
Ryan Brasier retired the last five Redbird batters of the game, four by strikeout, for his 12th save of the season.
Lucas ended the night with three hits and three runs batted in.
Bees 5, Redbirds 0
Up next: vs. Colorado Springs, 7:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Today-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- Utes return home and handle Huskies, 90-82,...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Utah Jazz run out of gas as winning streak...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 29