MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Ed Lucas belted two home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to 5-0 win over the Memphis Redbirds on Friday night.
Lucas broke a scoreless tie in the fifth, as he drove a 1-0 pitch from Memphis starter Brandon Dickson over the left field wall to put the Bees in front. Lucas extended the lead to 3-0 as drilled a 1-1 pitch from reliever John Gaub just inside the left field foul pole. They would add two more runs in the ninth on a two-run triple by Trevor Crowe.
Three Salt Lake pitchers combined to throw the team's sixth shutout of the season. Garrett Richards (7-3) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed seven hits with six strikeouts and one walk.
Ryan Brasier retired the last five Redbird batters of the game, four by strikeout, for his 12th save of the season.
Lucas ended the night with three hits and three runs batted in.
Bees 5, Redbirds 0
Up next: vs. Colorado Springs, 7:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Today-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has recovered...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 145
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 99
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 96
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 89
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 79
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 46
- Playoffs ‘almost... 34
- Utah football fall practice position... 24