MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Ed Lucas belted two home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to 5-0 win over the Memphis Redbirds on Friday night.
Lucas broke a scoreless tie in the fifth, as he drove a 1-0 pitch from Memphis starter Brandon Dickson over the left field wall to put the Bees in front. Lucas extended the lead to 3-0 as drilled a 1-1 pitch from reliever John Gaub just inside the left field foul pole. They would add two more runs in the ninth on a two-run triple by Trevor Crowe.
Three Salt Lake pitchers combined to throw the team's sixth shutout of the season. Garrett Richards (7-3) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed seven hits with six strikeouts and one walk.
Ryan Brasier retired the last five Redbird batters of the game, four by strikeout, for his 12th save of the season.
Lucas ended the night with three hits and three runs batted in.
Bees 5, Redbirds 0
Up next: vs. Colorado Springs, 7:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Today-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16