MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Ed Lucas belted two home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to 5-0 win over the Memphis Redbirds on Friday night.
Lucas broke a scoreless tie in the fifth, as he drove a 1-0 pitch from Memphis starter Brandon Dickson over the left field wall to put the Bees in front. Lucas extended the lead to 3-0 as drilled a 1-1 pitch from reliever John Gaub just inside the left field foul pole. They would add two more runs in the ninth on a two-run triple by Trevor Crowe.
Three Salt Lake pitchers combined to throw the team's sixth shutout of the season. Garrett Richards (7-3) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed seven hits with six strikeouts and one walk.
Ryan Brasier retired the last five Redbird batters of the game, four by strikeout, for his 12th save of the season.
Lucas ended the night with three hits and three runs batted in.
Bees 5, Redbirds 0
Up next: vs. Colorado Springs, 7:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Today-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 79
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 21
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 17