MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Ed Lucas belted two home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to 5-0 win over the Memphis Redbirds on Friday night.
Lucas broke a scoreless tie in the fifth, as he drove a 1-0 pitch from Memphis starter Brandon Dickson over the left field wall to put the Bees in front. Lucas extended the lead to 3-0 as drilled a 1-1 pitch from reliever John Gaub just inside the left field foul pole. They would add two more runs in the ninth on a two-run triple by Trevor Crowe.
Three Salt Lake pitchers combined to throw the team's sixth shutout of the season. Garrett Richards (7-3) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed seven hits with six strikeouts and one walk.
Ryan Brasier retired the last five Redbird batters of the game, four by strikeout, for his 12th save of the season.
Lucas ended the night with three hits and three runs batted in.
Bees 5, Redbirds 0
Up next: vs. Colorado Springs, 7:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Today-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44