Mitt Romney's family influential in Paul Ryan VP pick despite skeptical campaign advisors
Amanda Lucier, Associated Press
Our take: Mitt Romney's family was very influential in his decision to choose Paul Ryan as running mate. McKay Coppins at Buzzfeed explains what role Romney's family plays in his presidential campaign.
When Mitt Romney began seriously considering Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate earlier this summer, many of the political professionals who staff his Boston headquarters were skeptical. They realized the political liabilities posed by Ryan's controversial budget. They worried that his status as a Capitol Hill mainstay would undermine the candidate's Washington outsider image. And they recognized that adding a bold conservative visionary to the ticket could well kill any notion that this election was a referendum on President Obama.
But while Romney's staff had their doubts, the Congressman had the support of a separate, and increasingly influential set of advisers who have long had the candidate's ear: His wife and five sons.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- ‘Stay strong,’ says 15-year-old...
- Gallup poll: Mormons like Obama least of all...
- Grandma says Texas massacre survivor saved lives
- Hot spot: Yellowstone road melts, sites closed
- Tiny houses big with consumers seeking...
- Virginia dad plants flag in area between...
- Inventor pushes solar panels for roads, highways
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 65
- Why thousands of migrant children are... 45
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Boehner, McConnell blast Obama border... 41
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 32
- Gallup poll: Mormons like Obama least... 27
- Thousands of unaccompanied migrant... 26
- President Obama aims to shift border... 23