MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Steven Hill belted a three-run homer in the first inning to put Memphis in front and send the Redbirds to a 5-3 win over the Salt Lake Bees Thursday night.
Cedric Hunter opened the inning with a single to center off Bees' starter Barry Enright. With Hunter running on the pitch, Eugenio Velez walked and Hank Conger's throw to second went into center field as Hunter advanced to third. After Velez stole second, Hunter was thrown out at the plate on a ground ball before Hill lined a 2-2 pitch from Enright over the right field wall to give the Redbirds a 3-0 lead.
Enright (10-7) took the loss, his first with Salt Lake, as he went 5 1?3 innings and allowed five runs, three earned, on nine hits with three strikeouts and two walks.
The Bees scored all three of their runs in the sixth inning on a sacrifice fly by Luis Jimenez and a two-run homer by Kole Calhoun, who led Salt Lake with two hits and two runs batted in. Trevor Crowe added a pair of singles, as the Bees' four-game winning streak came to an end.
Redbirds 5, Bees 3
Up next: at Memphis, 6:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Saturday-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 189
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 91
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50