MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Steven Hill belted a three-run homer in the first inning to put Memphis in front and send the Redbirds to a 5-3 win over the Salt Lake Bees Thursday night.
Cedric Hunter opened the inning with a single to center off Bees' starter Barry Enright. With Hunter running on the pitch, Eugenio Velez walked and Hank Conger's throw to second went into center field as Hunter advanced to third. After Velez stole second, Hunter was thrown out at the plate on a ground ball before Hill lined a 2-2 pitch from Enright over the right field wall to give the Redbirds a 3-0 lead.
Enright (10-7) took the loss, his first with Salt Lake, as he went 5 1?3 innings and allowed five runs, three earned, on nine hits with three strikeouts and two walks.
The Bees scored all three of their runs in the sixth inning on a sacrifice fly by Luis Jimenez and a two-run homer by Kole Calhoun, who led Salt Lake with two hits and two runs batted in. Trevor Crowe added a pair of singles, as the Bees' four-game winning streak came to an end.
Redbirds 5, Bees 3
Up next: at Memphis, 6:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: Saturday-Aug. 21 vs. Colorado Springs
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29