Divorced couples' co-parenting relationships can improve, MU researcher says
Our take: Divorce not only creates a difficult situation for children, but also for ex-spouses. When a marriage was tumultuous, many assume co-parenting after a divorce will be filled with fighting and anger. However, when parents turn their focus onto the needs of the children, an amicable relationship can be built, which is better for the children involved.
"To me, it's almost as if the parents in the bad-to-better relationships matured," Coleman said. "Mostly, it's because the parents began focusing on their children. The parents saw how upset their arguments made their kids, so they decided to put their differences aside and focus on what was best for the children."
The women in amicable relationships reported that their ex-partners were responsible parents and that money was not a source of conflict. In addition, the women said they communicated with their ex-partners frequently and in multiple ways, via text, phone and email. Cordial parents also dealt with differences in parenting styles more efficiently by communicating issues that arose. In addition, the women who had better relationships with their former spouses did not try to limit their children's interaction with their fathers and, instead, found ways to conveniently transition the children between two homes.
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- The Clean Cut: Mothers brought to tears in...
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- The Clean Cut: Beluga whale teases children...
- Charlie and the Doll Factory? Penguin's new...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 31
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- Provo company creates program that... 16
- How your premarital experiences can... 12
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice... 12
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with... 9