Woods Cross – 1988-1989 – The Wildcats captured their only region title in 1988 and made their only championship game appearance in '89 as John Hanning directed them to an 18-6 record.
Eight of WX's 25 all-time all-state players were recognized those two seasons. Perhaps the best known of the eight is Kitt Rawlings, who set a then-state record for season all-purpose yards (3,267) in 1989.
There were 1,134,377 players in football in 2010 across the U.S., according to the National Federation of High Schools. Of those, 1,561 were girls.
The Utah High School Activities Assn. (UHSAA) has more current figures: 8,212 participants in Utah in 2011, but just 1 girl, at Pleasant Grove, well under the national average. Applying that average to Utah, there should be have been around 12 girls playing football in Utah.
Alta, Bingham and Cedar each attracted 155 participants to their programs, tops in the state, while Milford drew just 24 – but that's one in four of its male students.
Felt's Facts welcomes questions - feel free to email email@example.com
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27