"We're definitely different," he said glancing at his fellow kickers who were waiting for him to finish with interviews. "I feel like we get along great with everyone. There is no offense or defense for us. As a group we get along, and we're definitely part of the team. But, yeah, we're different."
Both Petersen and Marsh say they relish the mental challenges of the kicking game.
"I have always done better under pressure," said Petersen, who earned a scholarship after serving a mission in Argentina. "Colorado was a heartbreaker. I felt like I let my team down. It was hard to let down fans, but letting down my teammates was really hard."
He said his teammates buoyed his spirits after the loss (and acknowledged that wasn't the only reason for the defeat), and he said he's looking forward to redemption this fall.
"It's one of those things that in the moment really hurt," he said. "But I'd love to have that opportunity again. I think about it all the time. It's one of the things that motivates me."
Marsh said it's the pressure of those critical moments that inspire competitive athletes.
"We play football for that pressure," said Marsh. "If you're out here to kick on your own and not have people relying on you, well, that would be no fun. To hit a good punt and change the whole team's advantages, that's why you do this."
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26