BYU football: Cougar receivers catching Cahoon's vision
"(Mathews) has a chance (to play). He's got to stay healthy. He's kind of banged up right now, but he's a guy with all the physical tools. He's exciting to watch out there. Skyler Ridley has been one of our most consistent guys in camp. Nobody runs routes like him. He can break on a dime. Kurt Henderson's had a pretty good camp, too. They've been consistent and I'm pleased with them."
While Cahoon likes the depth he has to work with, he's hoping not to have to rely on that depth too much.
"If we're seeing the younger guys, that means the older guys are hurt or stinking it up," he said. "There have been several guys that have come in and made the most of opportunities. It's been a battle. Guys have come in and done a really good job. We'll rotate to keep guys fresh, but we want to have our best guys on the field as much as possible."
COUGARS CAMP REPORT
Day 12: The Cougars held a morning practice in helmets and shoulder pads.
Standouts: Quarterback Riley Nelson completed 3-of-4 passes for 70 yards, including a 60-yard touchdown strike to Alex Kuresa. Backup QB Taysom Hill was 3-of-4 for 68 yards, including a 35-yard TD pass to Brett Thompson.
Injuries: Running back Jamaal Williams (ankle) and Mitch Mathews (shoulder) were held out of team drills, but are expected to return soon.
Overheard: "I thought last year was pretty special, so I think you use that as the baseline. I'm sure he wants more, and it would help our team if there's more." — BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall on wide receiver Cody Hoffman, when asked if he's on the verge of a special season.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27