BYU football: Cougar receivers catching Cahoon's vision
"(Mathews) has a chance (to play). He's got to stay healthy. He's kind of banged up right now, but he's a guy with all the physical tools. He's exciting to watch out there. Skyler Ridley has been one of our most consistent guys in camp. Nobody runs routes like him. He can break on a dime. Kurt Henderson's had a pretty good camp, too. They've been consistent and I'm pleased with them."
While Cahoon likes the depth he has to work with, he's hoping not to have to rely on that depth too much.
"If we're seeing the younger guys, that means the older guys are hurt or stinking it up," he said. "There have been several guys that have come in and made the most of opportunities. It's been a battle. Guys have come in and done a really good job. We'll rotate to keep guys fresh, but we want to have our best guys on the field as much as possible."
COUGARS CAMP REPORT
Day 12: The Cougars held a morning practice in helmets and shoulder pads.
Standouts: Quarterback Riley Nelson completed 3-of-4 passes for 70 yards, including a 60-yard touchdown strike to Alex Kuresa. Backup QB Taysom Hill was 3-of-4 for 68 yards, including a 35-yard TD pass to Brett Thompson.
Injuries: Running back Jamaal Williams (ankle) and Mitch Mathews (shoulder) were held out of team drills, but are expected to return soon.
Overheard: "I thought last year was pretty special, so I think you use that as the baseline. I'm sure he wants more, and it would help our team if there's more." — BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall on wide receiver Cody Hoffman, when asked if he's on the verge of a special season.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28