TORONTO — Catcher Jeff Mathis has agreed to a $3 million, two-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays for 2013 for 2014.
Mathis, a former Salt Lake Bee, will earn $1.5 million in each of the next two seasons. The deal includes a $1.5 million team option for 2015. There is no buyout.
Traded to Toronto from the Los Angeles Angels in December, Mathis is batting .215 with nine doubles, six homers and 19 RBIs in 46 games. He has one error in 305 chances.
An eight-year veteran, Mathis is a career .196 hitter with 32 homers and 158 RBIs.
PETTITTE NOT SURE WHEN — OR IF — HE'LL RETURN: Andy Pettitte says recent X-rays on his broken lower left leg look better than they did last month but he's still not sure when he might be cleared to throw off a mound.
The New York Yankees pitcher was in the clubhouse before Tuesday night's game against Texas and said he realizes that if he has another setback, his season is "probably over." Pettitte needs time to rebuild arm strength before October if he wants to be included in a potential postseason rotation.
"I plan on getting him back," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Pettitte had X-rays on Monday. The 40-year-old left-hander has been sidelined since June 28 after he was hit by a line drive. His ankle swelled up last month in Seattle while he was trying to rehab, delaying his recovery.
FUENTES PUT ON RESTRICTED LIST: The St. Louis Cardinals have placed relief pitcher Brian Fuentes on the restricted list after the left-hander told the team he needed time off due to personal reasons
Right-hander Trevor Rosenthal was recalled from Triple-A Memphis for Tuesday night's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The 37-year-old Fuentes signed as a minor league free agent last month and has appeared in six games, totaling five innings.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 43
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34