TORONTO — Catcher Jeff Mathis has agreed to a $3 million, two-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays for 2013 for 2014.
Mathis, a former Salt Lake Bee, will earn $1.5 million in each of the next two seasons. The deal includes a $1.5 million team option for 2015. There is no buyout.
Traded to Toronto from the Los Angeles Angels in December, Mathis is batting .215 with nine doubles, six homers and 19 RBIs in 46 games. He has one error in 305 chances.
An eight-year veteran, Mathis is a career .196 hitter with 32 homers and 158 RBIs.
PETTITTE NOT SURE WHEN — OR IF — HE'LL RETURN: Andy Pettitte says recent X-rays on his broken lower left leg look better than they did last month but he's still not sure when he might be cleared to throw off a mound.
The New York Yankees pitcher was in the clubhouse before Tuesday night's game against Texas and said he realizes that if he has another setback, his season is "probably over." Pettitte needs time to rebuild arm strength before October if he wants to be included in a potential postseason rotation.
"I plan on getting him back," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Pettitte had X-rays on Monday. The 40-year-old left-hander has been sidelined since June 28 after he was hit by a line drive. His ankle swelled up last month in Seattle while he was trying to rehab, delaying his recovery.
FUENTES PUT ON RESTRICTED LIST: The St. Louis Cardinals have placed relief pitcher Brian Fuentes on the restricted list after the left-hander told the team he needed time off due to personal reasons
Right-hander Trevor Rosenthal was recalled from Triple-A Memphis for Tuesday night's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The 37-year-old Fuentes signed as a minor league free agent last month and has appeared in six games, totaling five innings.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 90
- Things won't get any easier for... 66
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 22