News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4