News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- A GDP showdown: How do state GDP numbers line...
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's...
- Obama to announce immigration action Thursday
- Jennifer Lawrence: Privacy loss that...
- What missing class in Kindergarten means for...
- Police: Gunman killed after shooting at FSU
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 40
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Obama to announce immigration action... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 20
- Gay marriage issue squarely before high... 15
- Japan slides into recession as tax hike... 14
- Republicans: Keystone pipeline down,... 13
- US cities brace for protests off... 11