News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Photos of unicyclist riding in Utah snowstorm...
- Target: 40 million card accounts may be breached
- Spending habits of families receiving public...
- Obamacare chaos now spreads to individual...
- Wage gap between men and women almost closed...
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for America
- Dear Santa: Funny and touching Christmas...
- Geographers map out the seven deadly sins
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay... 143
- New Mexico legalizes same-sex marriage 43
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after... 36
- Spending habits of families receiving... 33
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 30
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 24
- Associated Press survey: United States... 21
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year... 20