News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Photo gallery: Atop One World Trade Center,...
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business jobs
- Police officer, suspect critically hurt by...
- Surveillance debate produces unusual...
- Not even helmets help pro bull riders stave...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 165
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 27
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 18
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 15
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12