News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Texas affirmative action plan survives...
- Paris labor protest takes place without incident
- Obama immigration plan blocked by 4-4 tie at...
- How do you teach human interaction to a...
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to demand...
- Big accreditor of for-profit colleges could...
- Markets, bettors put money on Britons...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 29
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 29
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26