News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- How poverty plays a role in Ferguson
- Photographer is using portraits to combat...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15