News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Navajo Generating Station, West's... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10