News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts of...
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who struck...
- Most K-12 students are now low income
- Private wells in California farm area show...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Storm unleashes blizzard conditions on parts...
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit on...
- Residents want charges for Denver officers...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 91
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 29
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- VP Joe Biden: More access to higher ed... 10
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10