News 12 Long Island) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — An apparent explosion has destroyed a house in a Long Island suburb of New York City, killing a child and sending 17 others to hospitals.
Suffolk County police say surrounding houses also were damaged during the blast Tuesday in Brentwood.
Police say 18-month-old Rah-quan Palmer was killed. His parents, residents, a plumber, insurance agent and several rescuers were also injured.
A fire official says propane was being investigated as a possible cause.
Neighbors many blocks away felt their own homes shake.
Dave Grant heard the explosion and raced about seven blocks. He heard one officer yelling "We need help!" He assisted other officers as they lifted the collapsing roof to rescue a man.
The chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad says it will take some time to determine the exact cause.
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- Violence follows California Trump rally, 17...
- North Korea sends another US citizen to prison
- Norway oil-rig helicopter crash kills 13;...
- High-speed rail board approves revised...
- Colorado woman gets 100 years for cutting...
- 8 children, 2 tied up in backyard, rescued...
- Clinton backers 'feel the Bern' of angry...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 85
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 53
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Violence follows California Trump... 33
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 27
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill... 21
- Trump routs rivals in Northeast;... 21