Utah Utes football: Quarterback competition is healthy, says Whittingham
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Distraction? What distraction?
As far as Utah coach Kyle Whittingham is considered competition at every position, including quarterback, is healthy and not divisive.
"We don't talk about it at all within our program. We just go out and practice and take the reps and grade them," Whittingham said. "So I don't think it's a distraction at all unless they're reading their own press clippings, which is a cardinal sin. Hopefully we don't do that."
The Utes, he added, are making more advancement than ever before in terms of building depth. The influx of talent is forming a competitive environment up on the hill.
"I don't think it's healthy when you've got a guy at No. 1 that there's no way he can lose his job," Whittingham said. "It's a recipe for complacency."
Quarterback Jordan Wynn is not taken back by it. The projected starter has repeatedly said it'll make everyone better.
Travis Wilson, a true freshman, has taken the challenge seriously. He's determined to unseat Wynn as the starter.
"I definitely feel like I'm in a battle for that spot. I've got to come out and compete every day and I've got to make the right calls and make the right plays," Wilson said after Tuesday's scrimmage at Rice-Eccles Stadium. So I've got to make sure that everything is perfect and that way I can get that starting job."
EXTRA POINTS: Utah's defense was credited with 12 tackles-for-loss, five sacks, two fumble recoveries and two pass breakups in the scrimmage ... Whittingham said he would be shocked if offensive tackle Miles Mason (high ankle sprain) isn't ready for the season opener ... Backup center Vyncent Jones (hamstring) is now day-to-day ... Recent position changes include Hale from linebacker to defensive end; Tanquerey Towns> from wide receiver to defensive back; and Travis Still from defensive back to linebacker.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28