Bachmann had worked more than 19 years in law enforcement, according to the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. He had been a constable since January 2011.
Constables are law enforcement officers similar to sheriff's deputies who are elected to serve in specific county precincts. They primarily serve civil warrants and official paperwork or act as courtroom bailiffs.
Officers lined up to salute Monday afternoon as Bachmann's body was moved from a hospital and placed into a white van for transfer to a funeral home.
Texas A&M issued an emergency alert warning students and residents to stay clear of the area although most students weren't on campus because the fall semester doesn't start until later this month.
Diana Harbourt, 27, whose house is about a block away, said she had just come home for lunch when she and her boyfriend heard five loud popping sounds.
"I just thought it was somebody moving wood or stacking something," Harbourt said. "Then we heard more sirens and more officers and fire trucks came and they were keeping their distance, kind of slowly moving in. More officers showed up and told us to stay inside. ... The fear didn't hit me until after the fact, especially when I found a bullet hole in front of my house."
Texas Gov. Rick Perry, an A&M alumnus, said at an event in Florida that his "prayers are with any of those that have been injured." A&M President R. Bowen Loftin issued a statement calling Monday a "sad day in the Bryan-College Station community."
Associated Press writers Juan A. Lozano in Houston, Nomaan Merchant in Dallas and Melissa Nelson-Gabriel in Destin, Fla., contributed to this report.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Sex education should start sooner, study finds
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- Sorting out the claims after pipe break: Who...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- The creepiest Internet-related happenings of...
- House leaders abandon border bill
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 47
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 37
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 30
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 25
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 15