Bachmann had worked more than 19 years in law enforcement, according to the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. He had been a constable since January 2011.
Constables are law enforcement officers similar to sheriff's deputies who are elected to serve in specific county precincts. They primarily serve civil warrants and official paperwork or act as courtroom bailiffs.
Officers lined up to salute Monday afternoon as Bachmann's body was moved from a hospital and placed into a white van for transfer to a funeral home.
Texas A&M issued an emergency alert warning students and residents to stay clear of the area although most students weren't on campus because the fall semester doesn't start until later this month.
Diana Harbourt, 27, whose house is about a block away, said she had just come home for lunch when she and her boyfriend heard five loud popping sounds.
"I just thought it was somebody moving wood or stacking something," Harbourt said. "Then we heard more sirens and more officers and fire trucks came and they were keeping their distance, kind of slowly moving in. More officers showed up and told us to stay inside. ... The fear didn't hit me until after the fact, especially when I found a bullet hole in front of my house."
Texas Gov. Rick Perry, an A&M alumnus, said at an event in Florida that his "prayers are with any of those that have been injured." A&M President R. Bowen Loftin issued a statement calling Monday a "sad day in the Bryan-College Station community."
Associated Press writers Juan A. Lozano in Houston, Nomaan Merchant in Dallas and Melissa Nelson-Gabriel in Destin, Fla., contributed to this report.
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who went...
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Dinosaur discoveries in Utah's 'amazing...
- 283 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry...
- Delta tops list of most profitable airlines...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has ‘no...
- Less energy use, better cars help drive...
- Couple arrested in alleged iPhone purchasing...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 74
- Federal land managers release 400 or so... 58
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 29
- Kirsten Dunst targeted after saying... 28
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Bible's U.S. popularity steady, but... 18
- 'Obamacare' under attack as... 14