Jacquelyn Martin, File, Associated Press
While I am pleased to see that Mitt Romney has selected Rep. Paul Ryan, a man of courage and substance, as a running mate, I am not surprised to hear that Democratic operatives are salivating at the prospect of taking down Ryan, whom they perceive as the veritable Grinch of Congress.
To be sure, reasonable people can disagree on Ryan's specific prescription for reforming out-of-control entitlement spending. However, reasonable people do not deny that federal spending, especially entitlement spending, needs to be reined in.
Sadly, liberals, who vehemently denounce Ryan and his plan, have no plan for controlling spending. Their plan, such as it is, is to tax the wealthy more, but there are not nearly enough wealthy Americans to sustain the spending spree that we're on.
Democrats understand this, but they've assumed that American voters can't handle the truth about our budget. We can only hope these cynical politicos are wrong.
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 109
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 35
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30