Jacquelyn Martin, File, Associated Press
While I am pleased to see that Mitt Romney has selected Rep. Paul Ryan, a man of courage and substance, as a running mate, I am not surprised to hear that Democratic operatives are salivating at the prospect of taking down Ryan, whom they perceive as the veritable Grinch of Congress.
To be sure, reasonable people can disagree on Ryan's specific prescription for reforming out-of-control entitlement spending. However, reasonable people do not deny that federal spending, especially entitlement spending, needs to be reined in.
Sadly, liberals, who vehemently denounce Ryan and his plan, have no plan for controlling spending. Their plan, such as it is, is to tax the wealthy more, but there are not nearly enough wealthy Americans to sustain the spending spree that we're on.
Democrats understand this, but they've assumed that American voters can't handle the truth about our budget. We can only hope these cynical politicos are wrong.
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Jay Evensen: Here's why we should fear...
- Letter: Greater security
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil drilling
- Jason Farrell: Why libertarians are failing...
- Letter: Kill off expansion
- Dan Liljenquist: Let the people decide on...