Jacquelyn Martin, File, Associated Press
While I am pleased to see that Mitt Romney has selected Rep. Paul Ryan, a man of courage and substance, as a running mate, I am not surprised to hear that Democratic operatives are salivating at the prospect of taking down Ryan, whom they perceive as the veritable Grinch of Congress.
To be sure, reasonable people can disagree on Ryan's specific prescription for reforming out-of-control entitlement spending. However, reasonable people do not deny that federal spending, especially entitlement spending, needs to be reined in.
Sadly, liberals, who vehemently denounce Ryan and his plan, have no plan for controlling spending. Their plan, such as it is, is to tax the wealthy more, but there are not nearly enough wealthy Americans to sustain the spending spree that we're on.
Democrats understand this, but they've assumed that American voters can't handle the truth about our budget. We can only hope these cynical politicos are wrong.
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood... 53
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass 49
- Letter: Erratic protests 31
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics... 24
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23
- Letter: Proper priority 23