Jacquelyn Martin, File, Associated Press
While I am pleased to see that Mitt Romney has selected Rep. Paul Ryan, a man of courage and substance, as a running mate, I am not surprised to hear that Democratic operatives are salivating at the prospect of taking down Ryan, whom they perceive as the veritable Grinch of Congress.
To be sure, reasonable people can disagree on Ryan's specific prescription for reforming out-of-control entitlement spending. However, reasonable people do not deny that federal spending, especially entitlement spending, needs to be reined in.
Sadly, liberals, who vehemently denounce Ryan and his plan, have no plan for controlling spending. Their plan, such as it is, is to tax the wealthy more, but there are not nearly enough wealthy Americans to sustain the spending spree that we're on.
Democrats understand this, but they've assumed that American voters can't handle the truth about our budget. We can only hope these cynical politicos are wrong.
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of Catholic...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- My view: Have we crippled our kids with a...
- Letter: Good Samaritan
- Robert J. Samuelson: Whatever happened to the...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicos...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a... 69
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence... 48
- George F. Will: The low depths of... 27
- Letter: Good Samaritan 22
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of... 20
- Letter: Inversion concerns 19
- My view: Keystone Pipeline not in... 17
- A. Scott Anderson: Inversions will... 16