COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Texas police took a shooter into custody Monday after receiving reports of multiple injuries near the Texas A&M University campus, officials said.
The university issued an alert on its just before 12:30 p.m. warning of an active shooter near the campus football stadium, Kyle Field. The warning told residents and students to avoid the area, and was later updated with the shooter taken into custody.
College Station Police spokeswoman Rhonda Seaton told The Dallas Morning News that law enforcement officers are among "multiple injuries" at the scene, which she says is within a block or two of campus. Seaton says she does know the extent of the injuries. Multiple calls to Seaton's cellphone from The Associated Press went straight to voicemail Monday afternoon. Text messages and emails also were left for the spokeswoman.
Texas A&M spokeswoman Sherylon Carroll could not confirm any injuries or details about the shooting, but said most students were not on campus Monday and the fall semester does not begin until August 27.
"It appeared to be fairly quiet," Carroll said of campus. "It didn't appear to be a lot of people out and about at that particular time."
College Station is about 90 miles northwest of Houston. Texas A&M is home to more than 50,000 students, according to its website.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Administration asks skeptical judge to toss...
- Southern Arizona residents protest Border...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 30
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 9
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 8