Kathleen said she first noticed her future husband when he was 14 and she was 11 years old. He was collecting tithes at their home on his horse Sob. It's a name he hesitates sharing nowadays.
"She never knew for years what his name meant," Bud said, smiling.
It's something that Kathleen still laughs about.
"I was young and innocent," she said. It wasn't until much later in life she understood that the horse's name was an acronym characterizing the nature of the beast.
The Hardway Ranch got its name using Bud Lott's same country humor.
"It's too big to use a shovel, too small to use a tractor, so we have to do everything the hard way," he said.
As children, they lived in the same LDS ward and they went to school together.
"We started dating when we were 14, but we don't tell our grandkids," she said with a twinkle in her eye. "We went to a lot of school dances and everything, and had a lot of friends we dated with."
They married when she was 18 and Bud was 21. Bud was a bricklayer at Geneva Steel relining the blast furnaces as the brick turned to ash. He did that for about a decade and then began working for Hercules, now Alliance, as its transportation supervisor. After 32 years with Hercules, he retired.
They have four daughters and one son, 16 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.
Kathleen Lott was a homemaker with five children at home and taught 4-H in sewing and photography. She not only sewed her children's clothing but she bottled produce.
"Then it was a lot cheaper. You could get a bushel of peaches for a few dollars," she said. "We produced and raised our own beef, we pretty well ate what we raised."
Times were different. Neighbors would walk to where they wanted to go and there was usually a store within walking distance. They did travel beyond their front porch going several times to Disneyland.
"It is a different world now," she said. "All our neighbors stayed home and raised kids. We'd go to the park, and you know, go to Saratoga. We'd have horses and the camper. We'd go out to West Canyon."
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Sharing stories is how to best leave a...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 51
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Biskupski's pick to lead public... 13