Congress passes laws and institutes programs, and President Obama issues Executive Orders without regard to the Constitution. They know they can get away with it because few, if any, persons or organizations will contest them.
Although this has been going on for generations, it is much more prevalent now. For example, the Constitution does not permit the federal government to care for the individual, provide education or own public lands, but Congress has gotten away with it for so long and in so many ways that the public thinks it is OK.
What can we do? We can read the Constitution. It only takes about 2 hours and it is easily understood. To fully understand the original intent, we can refer to the "Federalist Papers." Thereafter, we can constitutionally evaluate legislation and programs, then discuss them publicly and with our representatives. We need to contest unconstitutional acts.
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is threatened...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant
- My view: Prison relocation study is being...
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of interest...
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible for...
- Hinkins & King: No losers in Utah’s...
- Letter: Divorce risks
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant 54
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible... 45
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is... 29
- My view: Prison relocation study is... 23
- Letter: Keep fighting drugs 21
- Michael Gerson: Religious... 19
- My view: Higher ed students can better... 18
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of... 18