Congress passes laws and institutes programs, and President Obama issues Executive Orders without regard to the Constitution. They know they can get away with it because few, if any, persons or organizations will contest them.
Although this has been going on for generations, it is much more prevalent now. For example, the Constitution does not permit the federal government to care for the individual, provide education or own public lands, but Congress has gotten away with it for so long and in so many ways that the public thinks it is OK.
What can we do? We can read the Constitution. It only takes about 2 hours and it is easily understood. To fully understand the original intent, we can refer to the "Federalist Papers." Thereafter, we can constitutionally evaluate legislation and programs, then discuss them publicly and with our representatives. We need to contest unconstitutional acts.
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Letter: Police brutality
- In our opinion: UTA to reconnect?
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn into...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 76
- Letter: Police brutality 58
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs... 26
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 24
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's... 23
- In our opinion: To be vigilant,... 23
- Letter: Parking questions 22