Matt Powers, Matt Powers, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Art is subjective. Some people like paintings from certain artists and time periods, others prefer sculpture.
Rob Olson, owner of Erkelens and Olson, has auctioned off a lot of items over the years, including hundreds of vintage automobiles and bikes, a ski and golf resort and a mountaintop mansion.
His latest auction is a little unusual.
"It's one of the more eclectic collections that we've had," Olson said.
Along with several cars, trucks and motorcycles there's a giant scorpion made of driftwood and a sheet metal and aluminum dinosaur with a motorcycle chain for a backbone.
There's even a horse that has hooves made from pistons from an automobile.
One of the junkyard fine art pieces looks like a medieval salamander, Olson said.
"We have some absolutely unique pieces, definite one-of-a-kinds," he said. "You're not going to see any two that are the same."
Many of the pieces have been shown in art galleries throughout the intermountain region. Now, they are being sold in a bankruptcy auction.
"I think we're going to have under 50 pieces," Olson said. "It would be very attractive for somebody who's looking for a piece in the right place."
Each of these items will be auctioned off individually, with no minimum bid required during the Aug. 25 Auction at 430 W. 300 North in Salt Lake City.
Photos of the items can be seen at www.salesandauction.com.
Depending on the bidding, some of these will likely sell for several thousand dollars.
"You know what they say, 'One man's junk is another man's treasure,' " he said. "Well, here it is."
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22