Dick Harmon: BYU football: Brandon Doman says Cougars are ready to run the ball
"We've minimized the number of sets we get into and we can run everything we can possibly run out of every single same formation and that will make us more of a threat."
Doman said another thing shaping up in his design is forcing the tight ends to play "attached" and "flexed" so defenders can't personnel game plan. "That makes us better too."
While Doman is optimistic and excited about the ball carriers and their potential in 2011, he is very much at ease with the way the offense and the rest of the team have found a leader in Nelson — a QB who isn't afraid to add to the run statistics if needed.
A full offseason of Nelson's leadership has rubbed off on the squad.
"This is his team now. He's taken us through the offseason. I attribute a lot of the grit, the physical fitness and current mindset of this team to him. I don't know if we could have done it without him. He's allowed us that culture because of the way he leads and the way he drives and I think it adds to the way coach Mendenhall does things with his defense; he's really charging with them and I think Riley would do the same thing if he was on the defense."
Before turning up the tunnel, Doman said he hopes BYU can run for 150 yards a game and pass for 300. He hopes the offense is capable of a solid average when they attempt to run.
"We don't profess to be the No. 1 rushing offense in the nation. We just want to rush four or five yards a play."
Pointing to history, Doman says if the Cougars can do that, they'll rarely lose and when they win, it could be by a wide margin.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 29
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 27
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24