Letter: ATK's future: Company needs to have a solution that is good enough to compete
SpaceX, Associated Press
ATK is crying because three other companies won big contracts from NASA. As usual, ATK and its Rep. Rob Bishop are claiming that the others won by unfair lobbying. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
ATK has a long history of wining and dining (and sometimes whining) its way into government contracts. In the 1970s, ATK's predecessor won the shuttle contract largely because Utah Sen. Frank Moss chaired the relevant committee. NASA's technical people favored another solution, but Moss brought home the bacon for Utah. Bishop is continuing in the same corrupt history.
ATK and Bishop can't conceive of anyone winning a government contract fairly on the technical merits because ATK's biggest win didn't happen that way.
Now, in truth, Boeing will likely not succeed for NASA. But the other two winners are innovative and may actually work out. Sierra Nevada Corp. makes the unique hybrid engines used by SpaceShipOne, the first private spacecraft, and its successor SpaceShipTwo which will begin private flights for paying customers soon. SpaceX builds the Dragon, the first privately developed craft to dock with the International Space Station, and the well-regarded Falcon launchers.
The future belongs to the nimble and innovative. Companies like Sierra Nevada, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, XCOR, Armadillo Aerospace and LaserMotive are the future of space flight. If ATK's solution is really so great, they should be able to compete commercially even without NASA pork.
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Fred Adams' Shakespeare...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies and...
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans sacrifice...
- Derek B. Miller: It's my party and I'll decry...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 46
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 42
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Letter: Acting presidential 31
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS 21
- My view: Drafting women a threat to... 19