Letter: ATK's future: Company needs to have a solution that is good enough to compete
SpaceX, Associated Press
ATK is crying because three other companies won big contracts from NASA. As usual, ATK and its Rep. Rob Bishop are claiming that the others won by unfair lobbying. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
ATK has a long history of wining and dining (and sometimes whining) its way into government contracts. In the 1970s, ATK's predecessor won the shuttle contract largely because Utah Sen. Frank Moss chaired the relevant committee. NASA's technical people favored another solution, but Moss brought home the bacon for Utah. Bishop is continuing in the same corrupt history.
ATK and Bishop can't conceive of anyone winning a government contract fairly on the technical merits because ATK's biggest win didn't happen that way.
Now, in truth, Boeing will likely not succeed for NASA. But the other two winners are innovative and may actually work out. Sierra Nevada Corp. makes the unique hybrid engines used by SpaceShipOne, the first private spacecraft, and its successor SpaceShipTwo which will begin private flights for paying customers soon. SpaceX builds the Dragon, the first privately developed craft to dock with the International Space Station, and the well-regarded Falcon launchers.
The future belongs to the nimble and innovative. Companies like Sierra Nevada, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, XCOR, Armadillo Aerospace and LaserMotive are the future of space flight. If ATK's solution is really so great, they should be able to compete commercially even without NASA pork.
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the Union...
- Letter: Prison nonsense
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Letter: Could Draper shine, too?
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 34
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 21
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21