Mitt Romney, President Obama both mistakenly call VP picks 'the next president' (+video)
Mary Altaffer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney repeated the same mistake President Obama made when announcing his vice presidential running mate choice — he called him "the next president".
"Today's a good day for America, and there are better days ahead," Romney said during a rally in Norfolk, Va. "Join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, Paul Ryan."
After Ryan joined Romney on the stage and waved to the crowd, he stepped up to the podium to start his speech. Reuters reports that Romney's wife Ann, pointed out the "presidential" error to him, so he came back to the microphone to correct himself.
"Every now and then I'm known to make a mistake," Romney said. "I did not make a mistake with this guy. But I can tell you this. He's going to be the next vice president of the United States."
In August 2008 when President Obama announced his vice presidential running mate choice, Sen. Joe Biden, he called the Democrat from Delaware the "next president" as well, but corrected himself almost immediately, stating, "Let me introduce to you the next president-the next vice president of the United States of America, Joe Biden."
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Trial opens for Detroit officer who killed...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL concern
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- Ex-VA doctor: Phoenix report a 'whitewash'
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7