Mitt Romney, President Obama both mistakenly call VP picks 'the next president' (+video)
Mary Altaffer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney repeated the same mistake President Obama made when announcing his vice presidential running mate choice — he called him "the next president".
"Today's a good day for America, and there are better days ahead," Romney said during a rally in Norfolk, Va. "Join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, Paul Ryan."
After Ryan joined Romney on the stage and waved to the crowd, he stepped up to the podium to start his speech. Reuters reports that Romney's wife Ann, pointed out the "presidential" error to him, so he came back to the microphone to correct himself.
"Every now and then I'm known to make a mistake," Romney said. "I did not make a mistake with this guy. But I can tell you this. He's going to be the next vice president of the United States."
In August 2008 when President Obama announced his vice presidential running mate choice, Sen. Joe Biden, he called the Democrat from Delaware the "next president" as well, but corrected himself almost immediately, stating, "Let me introduce to you the next president-the next vice president of the United States of America, Joe Biden."
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Brave woman tried to reason with London...
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Authorities: Man questioned in Boston bombing...
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 32
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 21
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19