Mitt Romney, President Obama both mistakenly call VP picks 'the next president' (+video)
Mary Altaffer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney repeated the same mistake President Obama made when announcing his vice presidential running mate choice — he called him "the next president".
"Today's a good day for America, and there are better days ahead," Romney said during a rally in Norfolk, Va. "Join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, Paul Ryan."
After Ryan joined Romney on the stage and waved to the crowd, he stepped up to the podium to start his speech. Reuters reports that Romney's wife Ann, pointed out the "presidential" error to him, so he came back to the microphone to correct himself.
"Every now and then I'm known to make a mistake," Romney said. "I did not make a mistake with this guy. But I can tell you this. He's going to be the next vice president of the United States."
In August 2008 when President Obama announced his vice presidential running mate choice, Sen. Joe Biden, he called the Democrat from Delaware the "next president" as well, but corrected himself almost immediately, stating, "Let me introduce to you the next president-the next vice president of the United States of America, Joe Biden."
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- Police: 2 dead, including gunman, in...
- After 1st Ebola case in NYC, 3 others...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Guantanamo prisoners in protest over women...
- Boko Haram agrees to release abducted girls
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- California orders churches, others to... 27
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 23
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7