Mitt Romney, President Obama both mistakenly call VP picks 'the next president' (+video)
Mary Altaffer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney repeated the same mistake President Obama made when announcing his vice presidential running mate choice — he called him "the next president".
"Today's a good day for America, and there are better days ahead," Romney said during a rally in Norfolk, Va. "Join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, Paul Ryan."
After Ryan joined Romney on the stage and waved to the crowd, he stepped up to the podium to start his speech. Reuters reports that Romney's wife Ann, pointed out the "presidential" error to him, so he came back to the microphone to correct himself.
"Every now and then I'm known to make a mistake," Romney said. "I did not make a mistake with this guy. But I can tell you this. He's going to be the next vice president of the United States."
In August 2008 when President Obama announced his vice presidential running mate choice, Sen. Joe Biden, he called the Democrat from Delaware the "next president" as well, but corrected himself almost immediately, stating, "Let me introduce to you the next president-the next vice president of the United States of America, Joe Biden."
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- Ana turns into hurricane off the coast of Hawaii
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Police hunt for clues near where Va. remains...
- Why I stand with the Houston Five
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 67
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- Budget deficit drops to $483B, lowest... 26
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14