Mitt Romney, President Obama both mistakenly call VP picks 'the next president' (+video)
Mary Altaffer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney repeated the same mistake President Obama made when announcing his vice presidential running mate choice — he called him "the next president".
"Today's a good day for America, and there are better days ahead," Romney said during a rally in Norfolk, Va. "Join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, Paul Ryan."
After Ryan joined Romney on the stage and waved to the crowd, he stepped up to the podium to start his speech. Reuters reports that Romney's wife Ann, pointed out the "presidential" error to him, so he came back to the microphone to correct himself.
"Every now and then I'm known to make a mistake," Romney said. "I did not make a mistake with this guy. But I can tell you this. He's going to be the next vice president of the United States."
In August 2008 when President Obama announced his vice presidential running mate choice, Sen. Joe Biden, he called the Democrat from Delaware the "next president" as well, but corrected himself almost immediately, stating, "Let me introduce to you the next president-the next vice president of the United States of America, Joe Biden."
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10