RIO DE JANEIRO — The University of Utah men's basketball team topped Flamengo by a score of 66-58 Friday in Rio de Janeiro. Junior guard Aaron Dotson led the Utes with 16 points while sophomore center Dallin Bachynski added 13 points and collected a team-high five rebounds.
Freshman forward Jordan Loveridge was solid again for the Utes as he tallied nine points and grabbed four rebounds. In all, 12 different Utes scored points and 13 different players corralled at least one rebound in a true team effort.
"It was another really physical game, this was kind of a grind but our guys battled through it," said Phil Cullen, director of player development. "We were faced with a different defense than we have seen so far. They played zone and trapped us but we were able to make adjustments and play our way out of it. This was also the first time we have really had a lead late but had to keep fighting to keep it. Everyone who played got involved and contributed tonight, we were really pleased."
The Utes close their slate of games in Brazil with a 2-2 record. The remainder of the trip will consist of practice, touring and team-building activities.Today's itinerary includes a trip to the statue of Christ the Redeemer, located at the top of Corcovado Mountain, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33