Charles Dharapak, AP
Our take: NBC News announced late Friday night that sources close to the Romney campaign have confirmed that Mitt Romney plans to announce Saturday morning that Paul Ryan will join him as his VP running mate. Romney's son Tagg is being reported to have delivered the message to Ryan in person in his home state of Wisconsin.
With recent national polls showing Romney trailing President Barack Obama, Ryan is a bold pick. He would excite economic conservatives, and is considered one of his party's rising stars.
In addition, Romney told NBC's Chuck Todd on Thursday he was looking for someone with "a vision for the country," who "adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country -- a sign that he might make a bold pick in Ryan.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- This week in history: The western Roman...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- WHO: West Africa Ebola death toll rises to 1,350
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 97
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 25
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 21
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 15