Charles Dharapak, AP
Our take: NBC News announced late Friday night that sources close to the Romney campaign have confirmed that Mitt Romney plans to announce Saturday morning that Paul Ryan will join him as his VP running mate. Romney's son Tagg is being reported to have delivered the message to Ryan in person in his home state of Wisconsin.
With recent national polls showing Romney trailing President Barack Obama, Ryan is a bold pick. He would excite economic conservatives, and is considered one of his party's rising stars.
In addition, Romney told NBC's Chuck Todd on Thursday he was looking for someone with "a vision for the country," who "adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country -- a sign that he might make a bold pick in Ryan.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 24
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 13
- News Guide: A look at latest Ebola... 9