Charles Dharapak, AP
Our take: NBC News announced late Friday night that sources close to the Romney campaign have confirmed that Mitt Romney plans to announce Saturday morning that Paul Ryan will join him as his VP running mate. Romney's son Tagg is being reported to have delivered the message to Ryan in person in his home state of Wisconsin.
With recent national polls showing Romney trailing President Barack Obama, Ryan is a bold pick. He would excite economic conservatives, and is considered one of his party's rising stars.
In addition, Romney told NBC's Chuck Todd on Thursday he was looking for someone with "a vision for the country," who "adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country -- a sign that he might make a bold pick in Ryan.
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious Liberty...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 22
- California orders churches, others to... 20
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7