Charles Dharapak, AP
Our take: NBC News announced late Friday night that sources close to the Romney campaign have confirmed that Mitt Romney plans to announce Saturday morning that Paul Ryan will join him as his VP running mate. Romney's son Tagg is being reported to have delivered the message to Ryan in person in his home state of Wisconsin.
With recent national polls showing Romney trailing President Barack Obama, Ryan is a bold pick. He would excite economic conservatives, and is considered one of his party's rising stars.
In addition, Romney told NBC's Chuck Todd on Thursday he was looking for someone with "a vision for the country," who "adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country -- a sign that he might make a bold pick in Ryan.
- A decade after welcoming wind, states reconsider
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service resignation...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Charging documents show Phelps DUI tied to...
- US Ebola case stokes concerns for Liberians...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Jail ordered for Idaho man in FLDS abuse case
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- Obama seeks traction on economy amid... 13
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at... 10
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not... 8