Luca Bruno, Associated Press
CARDIFF, Wales — Park Chu-young scored a brilliant individual goal to help South Korea to a 2-0 victory over regional rivals Japan on Friday and a bronze medal in Olympic men's football.
It was South Korea's first medal in the competition, and also the first by any Asian team in 44 years.
Park scored in the 38th minute after running with the ball from just inside his own half.
Koo Ja-cheol got the second goal not long into the second half, latching onto a long goal kick and finishing on his second touch.
Japan captain Maya Yoshida headed into the goal in the 86th, but it was disallowed for a foul by Yuki Otsu on the goalkeeper.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26