VATICAN CITY — The Vatican said it planned to announce its decision Monday on whether to order the pope's butler to stand trial in the theft and leaking of secret documents that have embarrassed the church.
Paolo Gabriele was arrested May 23, so far the only person ensnared in a criminal investigation. He was released under house arrest July 21 pending a decision on whether to indict him.
Gabriele's lawyers have told reporters that Gabriele had fully cooperated with the investigation, and that they would be ready to face a trial in case of an indictment, which they say they expect. They deny that he was part of any conspiracy.
The documents point to corruption and power struggles in the church hierarchy.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 13
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5