VATICAN CITY — The Vatican said it planned to announce its decision Monday on whether to order the pope's butler to stand trial in the theft and leaking of secret documents that have embarrassed the church.
Paolo Gabriele was arrested May 23, so far the only person ensnared in a criminal investigation. He was released under house arrest July 21 pending a decision on whether to indict him.
Gabriele's lawyers have told reporters that Gabriele had fully cooperated with the investigation, and that they would be ready to face a trial in case of an indictment, which they say they expect. They deny that he was part of any conspiracy.
The documents point to corruption and power struggles in the church hierarchy.
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Biblical names for Lord...
- Can Israeli farmers plant 70k trees, reap...
- The faith of a father, written in an old journal
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 66
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 23
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Church leaders can learn from NFL... 7
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 7
- 10 ideas of what God looks like 7