Our take: United States athletes have had chaplains for counsel and comfort since the 1988 Olympics. Here is an interesting profile on one of the chaplains, who was an Olympic athlete herself, helping athletes at 2012 Games in London.
London — Madeline Manning Mims has a message for the athletes at the London Olympics.
"They are loved. They are a part of humanity in a very special way and what they do matters," Mims said.
She's not talking about being loved by the fans - she's talking about being loved by God.
Mims is a gospel singer and a sports chaplain, and she's no stranger to the Olympics.
Read more about Gold medalist returns to Olympics as spiritual guide on CNN.
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 78
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 51
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46