CLEARLAKE, Calif. — A man convicted in a shooting at a backyard barbecue in Northern California that killed a 4-year-old boy and wounded five others has been sentenced to 311 years to life in prison.
Judge Doris Shockley called the shooting "callous" and "nonsensical," as she issued the sentence against 24-year-old Orlando Lopez on Tuesday in a Lake County courtroom.
Lopez was convicted of first-degree murder and other charges in the June 2011 shooting in Clearlake. Authorities say he and 22-year-old Paul Braden fired shotguns from a neighbor's yard at people attending the barbecue. Four-year-old Skyler Rapp died. Five adults were wounded.
- NORAD 'tracks' Santa's journey across globe
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- Our six heroes of 2014
- Final goodbye: A roll call of some who died...
- Sony broadly releases 'The Interview' in...
- Severe storms slam the South, killing at least 4
- Ex-President George H.W. Bush to stay...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 13
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger... 6
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6