"We've been working hard this whole offseason," he said, "so we're looking pretty good this year."
Sky View's Ethan Dursteller, a 6-foot-4 defensive end who earned all-state honors for the Bobcats last year, also feels like he and his teammates have a shot at knocking off the high-flying Grizzlies this year.
"We're expecting to be really good," he said. "We're hoping to be region champions, hopefully. It's a really tough region with Logan and Mountain Crest, but hopefully we can beat 'em both and finish well.
"Logan's definitely the team to beat, coming off a state championship of course, but hopefully we can surprise 'em."
His teammate, junior quarterback Braxton Godderidge, likes the Bobcats' chances, too, especially since nobody's picking them to challenge Logan for the league title.
"We've got some really good wide receivers, our line is looking really good this year and our running back is playing exceptional right now," Godderidge said. "We're looking all right.
"No one's picked us, so we're kinda the underdogs to start the year, and we like that role. It's better than being the target."
The target with the big bull's-eye on its back, of course, is Logan.
And veteran head coach Mike Favero figures having "defending state champion" in front of his team's name will serve as extra incentive to the Grizzlies' opponents.
"It's a new year," he said. "Last year was great but it has no impact on this year, other than people might come after us a little more."
Meanwhile, first-year Bonneville High head coach Tyler Gladwell, like coach Fernandes at Roy, is hoping to turn things around and restore some glory to his once-great program.
"We're expecting a lot. We're putting some high expectations on our players and high expectations with the coaching staff," he said. "We have good athletes here, and we told the kids we just want them to go out and compete and play hard. We have great kids who all want to win, and they're all working hard. Now we need to build their confidence and change the attitude here a little bit."
But it's not going to happen overnight.
"Every team in our region has really good players with really good coaches," Gladwell said. "It's a tough region."
To say the least.
Region 5 projections
(Preseason rankings based on coaches' votes)
1. LOGAN: The Grizzlies come into the season as the defending 4A state champions, and they have a total of 12 returning starters off that powerhouse team that finished 14-0 and piled up 44 points per game in pulverizing most of their opponents. Luke Falk, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound senior who played in California last season, will step into the void left at quarterback by last year's 4A MVP, D.J. Nelson. Falk has a big-time passing arm and has plenty of talented targets to throw to in receivers Hagan Andersen, Jesse Braddy, Beau Artist, Jake Thompson and running backs Chase Nelson and Chasen Andersen. Seven starters return for a strong defensive unit, led by first team All-State tackle Chasen Andersen and big Jacoby Wildman, but they'll miss first team All-State defensive end Caden Andersen, who's out for the season with an injury. 2011 record: 14-0 PLAYOFFS: Won 4A state championship with a dramatic 18-11 victory over East in the finals.
2. MOUNTAIN CREST: A couple of big-time playmakers -- wide receiver Faimafili "Mo" Laulu-Pututau and running back
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Special teams makes big plays as Utah State...
- Nebraska looking to set tone of Mike Riley...
- Utah Utes report card: Harbaugh, Michigan...
- What Covey lacks in size, he makes up for in...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 110
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 72
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 43
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 35
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 30