I was relieved to read a letter in the paper recently about the opening ceremonies at the Olympic Games ("London's opening nonsense," Aug. 3). The writer's opinion matched my own.
I was so looking forward to a great presentation but was so disappointed with them. Beijing was wonderful. I thought that London's was a conglomerate, which didn't make a lot of sense. People running around; ground and grass towers coming up from the ground.
The final straw was the celebration of the National Health Service, or NHS. My husband lived in England for two years many years ago, and NHS was frightening. Why would a country want to celebrate "socialized medicine." Thank goodness for an off button on our television.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24