I was relieved to read a letter in the paper recently about the opening ceremonies at the Olympic Games ("London's opening nonsense," Aug. 3). The writer's opinion matched my own.
I was so looking forward to a great presentation but was so disappointed with them. Beijing was wonderful. I thought that London's was a conglomerate, which didn't make a lot of sense. People running around; ground and grass towers coming up from the ground.
The final straw was the celebration of the National Health Service, or NHS. My husband lived in England for two years many years ago, and NHS was frightening. Why would a country want to celebrate "socialized medicine." Thank goodness for an off button on our television.
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 105
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30
- Letter: School electronic devices 26