Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham likes how Utes handle two-a-days
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham didn't like everything he saw on the first double day of camp. He was disappointed that the No. 1 offense wasn't as sharp in the second session as it was in the first. A lot of drops and too many turnovers, however, weren't enough to offset the big picture success.
"The players came out and handled it well from a mental aspect," Whittingham said at the end of a long day featuring a morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium and an evening session at Ute Field.
Whittingham was pleased with the defense overall. Sophomore safety Eric Rowe had a couple of interceptions to highlight the effort.
"It was good. It's always hard going two-a-days but it's football," said defensive tackle Star Lotulelei. "We had a chance to play football. It's good to come out here, run around and compete. The offense is doing great, the defense is doing great, so it was a lot of fun."
The No. 1 offense drew praise after the first practice. Quarterback Jordan Wynn and running back John White were among the standouts Whittingham mentioned.
An 80-90 play scrimmage is scheduled for Thursday. The next double day is Friday.
firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DirkFacer
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28