Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham likes how Utes handle two-a-days
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham didn't like everything he saw on the first double day of camp. He was disappointed that the No. 1 offense wasn't as sharp in the second session as it was in the first. A lot of drops and too many turnovers, however, weren't enough to offset the big picture success.
"The players came out and handled it well from a mental aspect," Whittingham said at the end of a long day featuring a morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium and an evening session at Ute Field.
Whittingham was pleased with the defense overall. Sophomore safety Eric Rowe had a couple of interceptions to highlight the effort.
"It was good. It's always hard going two-a-days but it's football," said defensive tackle Star Lotulelei. "We had a chance to play football. It's good to come out here, run around and compete. The offense is doing great, the defense is doing great, so it was a lot of fun."
The No. 1 offense drew praise after the first practice. Quarterback Jordan Wynn and running back John White were among the standouts Whittingham mentioned.
An 80-90 play scrimmage is scheduled for Thursday. The next double day is Friday.
firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DirkFacer
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Utah football: Utes top USC Trojans in a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah State Aggies lose another QB, but hold...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16