Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham likes how Utes handle two-a-days
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham didn't like everything he saw on the first double day of camp. He was disappointed that the No. 1 offense wasn't as sharp in the second session as it was in the first. A lot of drops and too many turnovers, however, weren't enough to offset the big picture success.
"The players came out and handled it well from a mental aspect," Whittingham said at the end of a long day featuring a morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium and an evening session at Ute Field.
Whittingham was pleased with the defense overall. Sophomore safety Eric Rowe had a couple of interceptions to highlight the effort.
"It was good. It's always hard going two-a-days but it's football," said defensive tackle Star Lotulelei. "We had a chance to play football. It's good to come out here, run around and compete. The offense is doing great, the defense is doing great, so it was a lot of fun."
The No. 1 offense drew praise after the first practice. Quarterback Jordan Wynn and running back John White were among the standouts Whittingham mentioned.
An 80-90 play scrimmage is scheduled for Thursday. The next double day is Friday.
firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DirkFacer
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 66
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45