WEYMOUTH, England — The United States was knocked out of the chase for Olympic sailing medals for the first time since 1936 when women's match racing skipper Anna Tunnicliffe was beaten in the quarterfinals by Finland on Wednesday.
Tunnicliffe, who was born in England and moved to the United States when she was 12, was the only remaining American with a chance for a medal.
Tunnicliffe wiped away tears as she spoke of the disappointing results. She won the gold medal in the Laser Radial in 2008 and was among the favorites in the three-woman match-racing class.
Dean Brenner, the outgoing chairman of the U.S. Olympic Sailing Program, said there's "no way to spin it" after the Americans failed to place anyone in the top three in 10 classes. Three classes are still sailing but the American crews failed to reach the medals round.
After taking a gold and silver at Beijing, the Americans came in with hopes for three or four medals.
While the Americans underperformed, the Australians continued to pick up gold medals.
The 49er crew of Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen sailed three laps of honor to collect the gold medal they had clinched two days earlier.
With two golds in hand and two other crews sailing well, the Aussies could win more sailing gold medals in the London Games than the well-funded British team.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39