"I'm really happy to be back and hopefully I'm able to change the complexion of the lineup, maybe not go out and hit two home runs a night, but maybe allow some other guys to see some better pitches and allow them an opportunity to get going," Longoria said. "Hopefully I can provide some kind of spark and get the offense going, but I try not to put all the weight on my shoulders."
The Rays had announced on Monday's off day that they planned to activate Longoria from the 60-day disabled list.
"When a guy like Longo comes back, people are going to heap all these unnecessary, unreachable expectations," Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said. "Just go out and play your game, be yourself. If he's able to do that, I'm very pleased. Part of it is just by being in the lineup, everybody else around him may get pitched at a little different, may see something better, and that's a good thing."
Longoria played designated hitter in Tuesday night's game against Toronto and knocked in a run in the Rays' win.
ORTIZ CLOSE TO RETURN WITH RED SOX: Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz took batting practice on the field Tuesday and thinks his return to Boston's lineup is close.
Ortiz has missed 20 games because of a strained right Achilles tendon. The 36-year old hit .316 with 23 homers and 58 RBIs in 89 games before going on the 15-day disabled list July 18.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 60
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43