Consider a healthy rethinking of the classic PB&J sandwich
Most kids — and many adults who want to remember being kids — love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Problem is, this lunch box staple is high in fat and sugar. So it's time for a remake of that beloved sandwich.
The first fix is the bread. Skip the fluffy white bread and go straight to a multigrain or whole wheat. If texture is an issue, you can always opt for one of the soft varieties of whole wheat. Just be sure to read the packages, because so-called "wheat bread" often is made with mostly white flour. Opt for one that specifically says "100 percent whole wheat."
The second fix is the jelly. Even the healthiest varieties are jammed with sugar. So we started with a base of all-fruit spread, but add a healthy dose of real fresh berries.
The final trouble spot in the typical PB&J is the peanut butter. Opting for a natural, unsweetened peanut butter gets you on the right track (most other peanut butters are filled with unnecessary sweeteners and added oils). But even regular peanut butter is loaded with fat. So you want to use it sparingly. But that doesn't taste nearly as good as really loading it on.
The solution? Mix together peanut butter and cooked instant oatmeal. Crazy? Maybe a little. But oatmeal has a nutty, pasty quality to it already. Mixed with peanut butter, it makes a delicious sandwich filling.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Makeover
Start to finish: 15 minutes
1 tablespoon instant oatmeal
3 tablespoons nonfat milk
1 tablespoon natural unsalted peanut butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh berries, chopped
2 teaspoons all-fruit spread
2 slices multigrain or whole-wheat bread
In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the oatmeal, milk and salt. Microwave on high for 1 minute, or until boiling. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then stir in the peanut butter.
In another small bowl, stir together the berries and fruit spread.
Spread the peanut butter-oat mixture on one slice of bread and the fruit mixture over it. Top with the second slice of bread.
- UTubers: Imagine Dragons releases new song,...
- The Clean Cut: Girl asks boy with Down...
- Avoid giving your baby this food that may...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- The effects of spanking children may surprise...
- How social media can make us question our...
- Utah woman is a finalist on Hallmark...
- Renovation Solutions: Determining the best...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 88
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 19
- The benefits some families see from... 16
- The effects of spanking children may... 13
- ... 8
- How social media can make us question... 4
- Families need to know of dying decision... 4
- Terminating parental rights: State... 1