BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Garrett Reid was a "happy-go-lucky" guy who conquered drug addiction, loved being in the weight room and enjoyed making players laugh.
That's how many of the Philadelphia Eagles closest to Reid remembered their coach's oldest son, who was found dead Sunday morning in a dorm room at the club's Lehigh University training camp. Police said the 29-year-old's death was not suspicious, and the cause was under investigation.
"I spent plenty of time with him," guard Evan Mathis said Monday. "He was always in the weight room with us and was always on the field with us. He was a happy-go-lucky guy and always a joy to be around, always telling jokes and having fun. Really just brightened your day when you were around him."
Funeral services will be held today.
On Monday night, Andy Reid, who has yet to address the media, issued a statement through the team.
"We loved Garrett so much. He was a wonderful son and brother. He made us laugh, he was a pleasure to be around, he always had a smile on his face, and we will miss him dearly," Andy Reid said. "We will never forget him, and we will remember him with love."
Today is a scheduled day off from camp, so the team is expected to join their coach at the funeral.
"I spent a lot of the offseason hanging out with Garrett. We were pretty close," center Jason Kelce said. "I want to be there to say 'Goodbye' to him."
The Eagles on Monday held a regular morning walkthrough and a full afternoon practice without Andy Reid for the second straight day. Reid spoke to the team Sunday before he left camp and impressed upon them the importance of sticking to their daily schedules.
"Garrett's road through life was not always an easy one. He faced tremendous personal challenges with bravery and spirit. As a family, we stood by him and were inspired as he worked to overcome those challenges," Andy Reid said. "Even though he lost the battle that has been ongoing for the last eight years, we will always remember him as a fighter who had a huge, loving heart."
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25