SAO JOSE DOS CAMPOS, Brazil — The University of Utah men's basketball team won its first game of its trip to Brazil on Monday, defeating Div. II opponent Jacarei by score of 89-77.
The Utes' leading scorer was junior forward Renan Lenz with 18 points.
Lenz, a native of Santo Angeles, Brazil, felt right at home as he also added six rebounds in the victory.
Freshman forward Jordan Loveridge, a much-hyped recruit and the high school Player of the Year in Utah last season, nearly posted a double-double in his debut performances as a Ute. Loveridge finished the game with 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
LMU transfer Jarred DuBois dished out a team-high six assists as well.
The Utes will play their second game of the trip on Tuesday.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 125
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 80
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 58
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33