SAO JOSE DOS CAMPOS, Brazil — The University of Utah men's basketball team won its first game of its trip to Brazil on Monday, defeating Div. II opponent Jacarei by score of 89-77.
The Utes' leading scorer was junior forward Renan Lenz with 18 points.
Lenz, a native of Santo Angeles, Brazil, felt right at home as he also added six rebounds in the victory.
Freshman forward Jordan Loveridge, a much-hyped recruit and the high school Player of the Year in Utah last season, nearly posted a double-double in his debut performances as a Ute. Loveridge finished the game with 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
LMU transfer Jarred DuBois dished out a team-high six assists as well.
The Utes will play their second game of the trip on Tuesday.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45