SAO JOSE DOS CAMPOS, Brazil — The University of Utah men's basketball team won its first game of its trip to Brazil on Monday, defeating Div. II opponent Jacarei by score of 89-77.
The Utes' leading scorer was junior forward Renan Lenz with 18 points.
Lenz, a native of Santo Angeles, Brazil, felt right at home as he also added six rebounds in the victory.
Freshman forward Jordan Loveridge, a much-hyped recruit and the high school Player of the Year in Utah last season, nearly posted a double-double in his debut performances as a Ute. Loveridge finished the game with 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
LMU transfer Jarred DuBois dished out a team-high six assists as well.
The Utes will play their second game of the trip on Tuesday.
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Former Utah cornerback Dominque Hatfield...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16