Utah Utes football: Andre Lewis accepts Utah scholarship offer
SALT LAKE CITY — Andre Lewis, a 6-foot-4, 218-pound receiver from Diablo Valley (Calif.) College, has accepted a scholarship offer from Utah. Lewis had 32 catches for 411 yards and six touchdowns as a freshman and plans to join the Utes in January after his sophomore season.
Lewis noted that several factors led to his decision to ultimately choose Utah over Arizona State — the coaching staff, Quinton Ganther and the opportunity to major in business or petroleum engineering. Lewis said his family was right behind him in liking the coaches and appreciating how he's been recruited by the Utes.
"It's a respect thing," said Lewis, who plans to make his official recruiting visit to Salt Lake City in October.
Another big influence is former Utah running back Quinton Ganther, who is now an administrative assistant with the Utes. Ganther played in the NFL with Lewis's brother (wide receiver) Steve Johnson on the Buffalo Bills.
Academics were also a variable. Lewis is particularly interested in studying petroleum engineering at Utah.
Fresno State, Nevada, Arkansas and Texas Tech were among the other schools recruiting Lewis.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 91
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 40
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 25