Utah Utes football: Andre Lewis accepts Utah scholarship offer
SALT LAKE CITY — Andre Lewis, a 6-foot-4, 218-pound receiver from Diablo Valley (Calif.) College, has accepted a scholarship offer from Utah. Lewis had 32 catches for 411 yards and six touchdowns as a freshman and plans to join the Utes in January after his sophomore season.
Lewis noted that several factors led to his decision to ultimately choose Utah over Arizona State — the coaching staff, Quinton Ganther and the opportunity to major in business or petroleum engineering. Lewis said his family was right behind him in liking the coaches and appreciating how he's been recruited by the Utes.
"It's a respect thing," said Lewis, who plans to make his official recruiting visit to Salt Lake City in October.
Another big influence is former Utah running back Quinton Ganther, who is now an administrative assistant with the Utes. Ganther played in the NFL with Lewis's brother (wide receiver) Steve Johnson on the Buffalo Bills.
Academics were also a variable. Lewis is particularly interested in studying petroleum engineering at Utah.
Fresno State, Nevada, Arkansas and Texas Tech were among the other schools recruiting Lewis.
- Despair and defiance as Russian athletes...
- Dustin Johnson wins US Open at Oakmont for...
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA Finals...
- The End: Cleveland rocks as title drought...
- Warriors cap greatest Finals collapse with...
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 86
- BYU football receives commitment from... 59
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA... 28
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22