Utah Utes football: Andre Lewis accepts Utah scholarship offer
SALT LAKE CITY — Andre Lewis, a 6-foot-4, 218-pound receiver from Diablo Valley (Calif.) College, has accepted a scholarship offer from Utah. Lewis had 32 catches for 411 yards and six touchdowns as a freshman and plans to join the Utes in January after his sophomore season.
Lewis noted that several factors led to his decision to ultimately choose Utah over Arizona State — the coaching staff, Quinton Ganther and the opportunity to major in business or petroleum engineering. Lewis said his family was right behind him in liking the coaches and appreciating how he's been recruited by the Utes.
"It's a respect thing," said Lewis, who plans to make his official recruiting visit to Salt Lake City in October.
Another big influence is former Utah running back Quinton Ganther, who is now an administrative assistant with the Utes. Ganther played in the NFL with Lewis's brother (wide receiver) Steve Johnson on the Buffalo Bills.
Academics were also a variable. Lewis is particularly interested in studying petroleum engineering at Utah.
Fresno State, Nevada, Arkansas and Texas Tech were among the other schools recruiting Lewis.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 41
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28