Eighty-four-year-old woman ministers on the streets of New York City for 40 years and counting
Our take: Irma Moraes has dedicated her life to preaching the gospel and ministering to people who are hurt, lost and searching on the streets of New York City for 40 years, and she has no plans to stop, despite being 84 years old. Although Times Square is no longer an area full of crime and is much more tourist friendly than when Moraes began 40 years ago, she never let the circumstances deter her from what she felt God called her to do.
Christians are commanded to go into all the world and preach the gospel.
Recently, CBN News met an 84-year-old New York woman who's taken that mandate to heart. She's been ministering on the streets of Manhattan for decades.
Times Square is famous for its bright lights and Broadway shows. But beneath the neon glow, you'll find Irma Moraes, who has dedicated her life to pointing people to the true light of the world.
For more than 40 years, she's handed out tracts in the Big Apple and told people about Jesus.
"Why did you decide to do this?" CBN New asked Moraes.
"God told me to do this," she replied.
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- President Uchtdorf: 'Live the gospel joyful'
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Watch: September 2014 General Women's... 2
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 2