Some Muslims experience health issues from long-term fasting
Rahmat Gul, Associated Press
Our take: The Muslim holy month of Ramadan is a time of fasting from dawn until dusk from all water and food. When the sun goes down, Muslims are then allowed to eat and drink without restriction. However, medical professionals have expressed concerns about a cycle of fasting and then potentially overeating when the fast is broken. Dietician and Muslim observant Nour Zibdeh explains why some Muslims gain weight during the fast and how to avoid health issues that arise for some adherents.
Muslims across the world are fasting from dawn to dusk for the holy month of Ramadan. Weight gain and health problems related to overeating have been reported during the month, and medical professionals are warning against eating too much to break the fast. Host Michel Martin speaks to dietician Nour Zibdeh about the best ways to eat during Ramadan.
MICHEL MARTIN, HOST:
Now we want to take a different look at the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. As you might imagine, health issues arise for just about anybody who is not drinking or eating from sunrise to sunset, whether you're a world-class athlete or not. Dehydration and indigestion are just two concerns, but you might be surprised to hear that Ramadan is also a month when people can end up eating too much, even wind up in the hospital.
We wanted to talk more about the best ways to eat during the month, so we've called upon Nour Zibdeh. She is a practicing Muslim and a registered dietician. She owns her own practice called Nourition in Northern Virginia, but she joins us on the line from Amman, Jordan, where she's visiting friends and family.
Nour Zibdeh, welcome to the program, and Ramadan Mubarak to you.
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 30
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 28
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 18
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 13
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 12
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 11
- How would you describe God in just one... 11