Mike Stewart, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The well organized intimidation and threats we first began to recognize against those who supported Proposition 8 in California are alive and well and escalating in efforts to shout down those who oppose same-sex marriage. The latest round is the result of Dan Cathy, president of Chick-fil-A, supporting the Biblical definition of the family unit.
To my knowledge, Cathy has never discriminated against employees or patrons who share a different view. However, this time government officials had initially threatened to use their positions to punish Cathy for expressing his views. An Alderman claimed he would not allow a building permit to be issued, and the mayor of Boston said he would keep the chain from opening a restaurant in his city. Somehow these officials felt it was alright for them to use their positions to discriminate against Cathy for expressing his personal values.
It is interesting that similar action is not directed at public figures who announce their support of same-sex marriage. I don't recall any government officials attempting to deny a visit to their fair city by President Obama following his announcement in support of same-sex marriage.
If this public intrusion into our right of free expression by government is not worrisome to you, perhaps it should be. The best way I can show my support for Cathy's courage to express his views is to have lunch at his facility.
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 54
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 46
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 36