Mike Stewart, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The well organized intimidation and threats we first began to recognize against those who supported Proposition 8 in California are alive and well and escalating in efforts to shout down those who oppose same-sex marriage. The latest round is the result of Dan Cathy, president of Chick-fil-A, supporting the Biblical definition of the family unit.
To my knowledge, Cathy has never discriminated against employees or patrons who share a different view. However, this time government officials had initially threatened to use their positions to punish Cathy for expressing his views. An Alderman claimed he would not allow a building permit to be issued, and the mayor of Boston said he would keep the chain from opening a restaurant in his city. Somehow these officials felt it was alright for them to use their positions to discriminate against Cathy for expressing his personal values.
It is interesting that similar action is not directed at public figures who announce their support of same-sex marriage. I don't recall any government officials attempting to deny a visit to their fair city by President Obama following his announcement in support of same-sex marriage.
If this public intrusion into our right of free expression by government is not worrisome to you, perhaps it should be. The best way I can show my support for Cathy's courage to express his views is to have lunch at his facility.
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- In our opinion: Critics of porn resolution...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: National security and... 77
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 35
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19