Mike Stewart, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The well organized intimidation and threats we first began to recognize against those who supported Proposition 8 in California are alive and well and escalating in efforts to shout down those who oppose same-sex marriage. The latest round is the result of Dan Cathy, president of Chick-fil-A, supporting the Biblical definition of the family unit.
To my knowledge, Cathy has never discriminated against employees or patrons who share a different view. However, this time government officials had initially threatened to use their positions to punish Cathy for expressing his views. An Alderman claimed he would not allow a building permit to be issued, and the mayor of Boston said he would keep the chain from opening a restaurant in his city. Somehow these officials felt it was alright for them to use their positions to discriminate against Cathy for expressing his personal values.
It is interesting that similar action is not directed at public figures who announce their support of same-sex marriage. I don't recall any government officials attempting to deny a visit to their fair city by President Obama following his announcement in support of same-sex marriage.
If this public intrusion into our right of free expression by government is not worrisome to you, perhaps it should be. The best way I can show my support for Cathy's courage to express his views is to have lunch at his facility.
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme Court...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: How Alex Boye's...
- In our opinion: Repairing Salt Lake City streets
- Arthur Cyr: North Korea’s leaders...
- George F. Will: Britain at the crossroads
- My view: The one thing that could solve...
- In our opinion: Increased on-screen violence...
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 50
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 45
- My view: Character still matters in... 24
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 20
- Letter: Obama visits Hiroshima 18
- In our opinion: Remembering Hiroshima... 15
- Mia Love: America's soldiers are... 14
- My view: The one thing that could solve... 11